First Skype meeting 

In the first Skype meeting  on October 1st we discussed several important theoretical questions. Firstly, there was a short discussion for the difficulty to explain what we know to a fellow dancer. This led to important questions : how do we prove something we know? is there a need to prove something? These questions rely upon the positivist theory.
Positivism: The belief that objective accounts of the world can be given, and that the function of science is to develop explanations in the form of universal laws, that is, to develop nomothetic knowledge. (Punch and Oancea, 2014)
However, dance is a subject that requires multiple approaches and inquiry rather than  research that proves something. As a result, we concluded that this MA has a non-positivist stance and generally we are more prompt to use this stance in our forthcoming inquiry and during our reflection moments.
In the last part of the conversation, we discussed about frameworks. We analyzed a little the MA's framework. This put forward a different question for each one of us: what is my framework? how do I frame my perception and how do I engage the world around me? 
Personally, I was more interested in listening to others' perspectives and way of thinking, as there were people from different modules. I believe that this conversation was the first approach to the notion of this module and generally this MA. It posed a lot of different questions for me regarding the various theories and perspectives as well as the wish to search and find my own framework.

References:
Punch, K.F.and Oancea, A. (2014) Introduction to Research Methods in Education. 2nd edn. L.A., London, New Delhi, Singapore, Washington DC : Sage, p.18

Comments

Popular posts from this blog