Communication of ideas
Yesterday we had a wonderful Skype at am. I had the opportunity to speak with another student (probably from module 1 or 2) David, Adesola and Maria. However, I would like to talk with more people to share even more ideas on the subject because it was a very important theme that made me to start questioning things and ideas.
We reached the core of the subject at the end of the discussion, which means that some topics need more time to be analysed because they are difficult to be framed. We actually talked about the framework of communication, something I found a little bit difficult to understand. Could communication have a framework? For me communication of ideas means the ability to share your ideas in the most appropriate way in order for them to be understood by your community (This is actually how the whole conversation started). Communicating  ideas creates a network of people and ideas where everyone has a dual role of transferring  and receiving ideas. Thus communication of ideas is strongly connected with the community and how people perceive things differently.
In the case of this MA the community is not always the same. Writing an academic essay means that you transfer/ share your ideas in an academic community, that of the University. You acknowledge that there is another type of community from that you are used to (dance teaching community, dancers community etc). This is why in module 3 you are asked to write an academic essay and create a professional artefact. You communicate your ideas differently for different communities. This is an idea that came to me after I was asked why I write an essay. I have never thought before  in school or during my BA why I write an essay. It was just something that I had to do. I knew that I was sharing my ideas in a structured way but it was just a feelingq now, after this discussion, there is a reason for writing an essay.
Finally, I liked what Adesola mentioned, that writing an academic essay does not mean that you have to loose your values in order to meet the uni's values. This was something that came up after David mentioned his ideas about teaching and knowledge.
This is important to question everything and have an opinion about things; writing about them in an academic way (or not) does not mean loosing your own voice and values. This is the best way to communicate your ideas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog